Thursday, June 4, 2015

Entry #5: Of Modern Masters and Magic(Incident of Failure)

Very recently, on May 22nd to be precise, a set of Magic: The Gathering called Modern Masters 2015 Edition was released. I had been incredibly excited about the set, and in particular, my local Game/Comic Store's (http://octobercountrycomics.com/) draft of the set. What a draft is, is a limited format where you can only use cards opened from packs of the set that you receive at the event(to simplify it drastically) to make a deck and play a tournament. Now, when we had received our cards, I thought I had a great pool, as I opened up enough in rares/foil cards to pay for my draft, as well as some other very playable cards! But alas, it wasn't enough.
Every round, you could feel the determination and effort emanating from my playing, and yet in the first round, I was wrecked by a control deck, which shut me down and made it so I couldn't play any of my cards(man, for a new kid he was really good!) Second round, Theo, the tournament organizer destroyed me with a deck of elementals and sorceries.(For those new to magic, what this means is that he played a lot of big creatures to take away my life, as well as spells to make them more powerful) Third round, I played Charlie, the deserter, whose losses drive him from the draft early(ruining many people's records) but this time he decided to stay for third round, and he beat me bad, much to my chagrin. I ended up winning round 4 (against a little kid who didn't quite understand the rules of the game), but it didn't really help. I was utterly defeated, and down in the dumps, though I wore happiness like a mask, deflecting worries and fears.

But this night taught me something. It's just a game, and I shouldn't let losing drag me down. I should lose with a smile and shake my opponent's hand and tell them "good games" and get ready for the next round. I also learned to not be so cocky with my pulls. I had a good pool overall, but not enough creatures to pull the kind of assault I was going for, and it ended up biting me in the butt in the end. Hopefully, next draft I'll learn from my mistakes, and go in with a better attitude and better foresight when I pick my pulls, in order to achieve a better balance.

Now, after hearing this story, do you want to play Magic: The Gathering? Or more specifically, do you want to learn how to draft? If so, here's how you too can draft! http://www.gatheringmagic.com/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting/
http://www.ehow.com/how_2090329_play-magic-gathering.html

And if you do already game, please don't forget to support your local game store instead of that big box store in the mall! You can't play Magic at Target or Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment