Thursday, May 14, 2015

Entry #1: Green Fists and Men in Tights(Early Memory)

I don't really remember a whole lot of my early childhood anymore. At this point, it's all just a blur of cartoons, and comic books; of Gameboys and bullies. But that being said, I'll never forget one moment that may seem insignificant to most, but to me was a turning point.

When exactly it happened has been lost on me, but happen it did. When I was a young child, my aunt Pattie and uncle Tony(as well as my own parents) bought me a pair of Hulk Fists for my birthday. They were these big dumb green foam fists that made a sound effect of the Hulk roaring whenever they hit something. They might've been a movie tie-in for some new attempt at bringing the green giant to the screen, but I have no idea. All I remember was the sheer joy they brought me whenever I would hit something and I heard that "ROAR!" And with the pair my parents had given me, my friends and I could fight with them. (As safely as children can do, of course.) I loved those fists, and for a time, they were my world, the fantasy bait of every small child, who just wanted to be something more than they already were. But, all good things come to an end, and as of late, they don't work anymore. But I still have at least on pair, and now and then they find their way to my hands, just to recreate the memories of a childhood left behind.

Now, you may wonder, what kind of a turning point is a pair of green fists? Well, good question. It was not the fists themselves, but what they inspired. I had always loved superheroes through movies, or cartoons, or video games, or any other number of mediums, but up to that point, I had never really explored comic books. But something about that pair of dumb foam fists caused me to go to my local comic shop and to pick up comics. I had probably purchased some before, but never in any large quantity or with any regularity. But then, I found myself enthralled by Men of Steel, and Caped Crusaders, and any number of men and women in colorful costumes with amazing powers, or trickery of any kind. Those heroes have been the guiding light in an otherwise dark period of my life, and those green fists are how I got to the point I am at today. And seeing those heroes light up the silver screen has given me the strength to rise up above my problems, to live another day, and to fight on, like a Hulk.

So, thank you Aunt Pattie and Uncle Tony. Thanks mum and dad. I hope those fists were as great a monetary investment for you as they were an emotional investment to me.

4 comments:

  1. Eric, I its funny that I had the same pair of hulk hands as a kid and I really liked them, but they didn't change my life besides making me think I was superstrong when I wore them. Its amazing how just an ordinary toy for me was a monumental turning point for you. Peace out and HULK SMASH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Jasper! And I agree. It's kind of amazing how different things effect people differently, and I'm glad those hulk fists also meant something to you, even if they didn't mean as much. HULK SMASH.
      -Eric

      Delete
  2. I remember when I was younger having hulk hands as well. Recently my parents got me a pair as a joke gift, but putting them on gave me the same reminiscent feeling of my childhood that you said you experienced. Im glad to see that something so small was able to help in a time of such difficulty as a child. Nice entry Eric, it was well written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Yeah, it is pretty amazing how, looking back on it, something so goofy as a big dumb pair of green foam hands can be so helpful in tough times, and even a gateway to other realities! I appreciate your comment, and your thoughts!
      -Eric

      Delete