Monday, May 18, 2015

Entry #2: How Superman Saved My Life

So, for the past several years, I've been dealing with depression, and I've been dealing with it real bad. Days on end of not having the ability to do anything more than get up, eat, and watch TV. Not being able to do homework because I just couldn't force myself to do it. It's getting better, but it still happens now and again.

I have been a fan of Superman for as long as I can remember, particularly because of Superman: The Animated Series, but also because of the comics. I was going through one of my particularly awful bouts of inactivity, where for three days I didn't leave my couch except for food and water, and to use the bathroom, when I decided to watch some episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, as I had nothing better to do. For those unaware of what he is aside from his appearance, and maybe his powers, Superman is a beacon of the importance of life. He always chooses life, no matter how hard he has to fight to ensure that life is preserved. While any particular moment escapes me, while watching my mini-marathon, several key moments from the show merged in order to show me something: I wanted to live, and I wanted to keep on fighting, and not give in to the plague ailing me. And to this day, I will always defend Superman when people call him a "lame hero" or "f*$kboy" because he's taught me to always choose life, and that something isn't beautiful because it lasts(to quote The Vision from Avengers: Age of Ultron) but it's better to make it last just a little while longer, then to let it fade quickly.
So thanks for reading this little blog about a nerd with issues, and always remember: Always choose life, and don't forget to ask for help when you need it, even if it comes from something as simple as watching a cartoon about a man in a silly outfit who saves people from robots and billionaires.

4 comments:

  1. Eric, well written. It's amazing how something as small as Superman can have such an immense and long lasting impact on you. This shows that anything, no matter what it is can have a lasting impact on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Tyler! And yeah, it's pretty marvelous that something small to one person can be big to another! And long lasting impacts can come from anywhere, even something as simple as a cartoon on a dreary Saturday morning.
      -Eric

      Delete
  2. I really thought about your opinion regarding Superman, and I conclude that I agree with you about him not being a bad character. I once dismissed his uncompromising moral stance as shallow characterization but now I like to see it as more complex than that, and life philosophy that every person should contemplate, idealistic as it is. Are there any other heroes that affect you as much as Superman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Rob! Yeah, many people are quick to dismiss Superman as shallow, and I'm glad I was able to help you see the complexity of the character. And yeah, I think Spiderman and The Hulk were two characters who really have affected me. Because Spidey taught me that just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't matter, and the Hulk taught me that even smart people get mad sometimes, and that's ok. It's just part of the human experience. And I'm sure there are others, but those are the big two!

      Delete